Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!

Monday, January 16, 2006

Golden Globes/Walk The Line

I haven't been watching the awards all night. I saw a little the first half hour, went to run and just saw "Walk The Line" win Best musical movie. I'm tickled to see a movie about two of my favorite musicians/personalities win so many awards. I'm even MORE tickled to see that Geena Davis has back fat!!!!! I could beat her in a back fat contest any day, however, I'm glad to see she has it. They need more back fat in Hollywood. The world would be a better place.

I'm still kinda amazed that everybody's raving over Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash. Granted, I think Reese (we're on a first name basis, being she's a hometown girl and all) is adorable. I love her in "Sweet Home Alabama", "Legally Blonde", etc. Her portrayal of June is kinda like those characters though. June had a certain edge to her that I don't think Reese had a clue about. Come on, she went to Harpeth Hall. Harpeth Hall is a long way from the stage of the Grand Ole Opry, even though they are int he same town. Yeah, yeah, I know she studied, talked to people, etc. but I felt like I was watching Reese Witherspoon with her hair colored. She played a nice role and all, but, as a huge June Carter fan, I don't think she came close to capturing her. I think Holly Hunter could've nailed it. Good for Reese for getting the approval of the Hollywood Foreign Press, though. She's worked hard. I'm just a bit unobjective when it comes to June Carter. She was something of a hero of mine.

Joaquin, on the other hand, was perfect to play Cash. He has the intensity in his eyes, life experiences in pulling off the most complex, unique character that was Johnny Cash.

Read both of the Cash autobiographies, "Man In Black" and "Cash, An Autobiography" and while you're at it, read both of June's books "Among My Klediments" and "From My Heart." All are great reads. Fascinating people, the Cashes...I miss them.

No comments: