Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hair and Eyebrows

Back from the salon and all I have to say is "ahhhhhhhhhh." Amazing how a cut and color can not only revitalize your head but your insides as well.

I was way overdue for a color. When I say "way overdue", please believe me. The front half of my hair is gray. Not solid, Emmylou white, but the sides are really white and salt and peppery from the front to the crown. The back is still pretty dark. If the sides weren't so white, I'd let it go. If I were to let it go, I'd resemble Bill Monroe in later years with his thick sideburns. As it is, however, it must be colored.

The whole gray hair thing has been sorta traumatizing. I don't stay up nights pining for my just-about-black shade that God gave me, but, like most other things in life, I did not appreciate the richness of my color until it was too far gone. I feel like at almost 37, I should still have dark, dark hair. Dark, shiny and bouncy like it was 10 years ago. Since that is not possible, without the aid of chemicals, I go to the salon and have a professional deal with it for me.

I've tried doing it myself but will inevitably miss spots and the store bought stuff just doesn't cover it up. You can tell the difference between a do it yourself and a pro job. I found the wonderful Samantha at Nashville's SalonFX some months ago and she does a great job.

I was so overdue for a trip to Sam's because money has been tight, especially with Christmas. The gray roots had surpassed the root stage and appeared as though I was trying to grow it out. So much so, #1 son laughed at my gray hair recently. I told him to hush because the reason I had gray roots screaming "Howdy" to everybody I meet was so he could have Christmas.

My friend Sherian is always giddy on days she's going to get her hair done and I've always thought it was funny until this week, I found myself looking forward to today. Samantha did not disappoint and she highlighted, colored, cut and styled my mop and I'm feeling almost pretty tonight. Not only did the hair get done, but I splurged and had my eyebrows waxed and Sam gave those babies a color job too. When it comes to eyebrows, Brooke Shields has NOTHING on me.

Hair's fixed and I'm hoping I don't smush it while I slumber tonight so I can enjoy the benefits of Sam, somewhat tomorrow. I can NEVER make it look like she does. When I win the powerball, I'm going to have it done every single day. Maybe Sam will come work for me and be my personal stylist.

SalonFX is a little more pricey than most places I've traded with through the years. It's in the heart of a trendy part of Nashville, near Music Row. All the stylists that work there are extremely hip, most of them tatooed, pierced and they all wear black and white. Some of the chicks that work there wear stiletto heels and I'm mesmerized by how they can stand on their feet all day wearing those things. There are a few cuter than cute type girls in there and the guys that work there aren't your stereotypical male hairdressers. They have a woman in there who does nothing but wax all day. She waxes women, men, God only knows where on their bodies.

SalonFX is a fascinating place to people watch. One day, I saw both Bart Durham and Vice Mayor Gentry in there. Surreal seeing Nashville's most famous tv lawyer getting his hair washed. Doesn't compare with the time I saw Porter Wagoner getting a pedicure at my nail place in Hendersonville though.

No comments: