Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Priceless

"Biff Collie Interview - Live" - Elvis Presley: "This afternoon, #1 Son and I decided that we'd get on the stick and get the kitchen cleaned up. We've had an afternoon of bonding through clutter and music. #1 has been enlightening me with stuff he likes...The Foo Fighters, System of a Down, Disturbed, Blink 182 and I've introduced him to music from the Olden Days like Violent Femmes, ZZTop, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and then there's stuff we both love....Stevie Wonder (how many 14 year olds even know who he is?) Ray Charles, Johnny Cash and Elvis.

#1 and me normally don't have much opportunity to bond (the fact that he's 14 should explain that right away) but I have thoroughly enjoyed my firstborn this afternoon. I'm quite proud of the fact that he knows good music when he hears it and I do dig some of his musical heroes of today (cept the angry, hollering ones).

We've took turns looking on Rhaposdy for stuff we want to listen to and #1 says 'Look for some Elvis.' The first cd that came up on Elvis is one that features the first ever, known live recording of the King.

Imagine my surprise and sheer delight to see the first track is an interview done with my Dad about this event. I've always known Dad had a tiny part of the King's rise to fame and I'm sure I heard him tell it, but, obviously, didn't pay a lot of attention. So one, to hear the historical background was pretty cool.

Two...and even more so, to hear my dad's voice and his look-alike grandson's expression to hear his grandfather's voice for the first time (telling something as cool as this) was a neat little present. ("So, you mean Grandpa was THERE?")It's like it hasn't been a week since I heard him talk.

***I think the deal is, if you have Rhapsody you can hear the clip. I also have turned #1 onto Def Leppard....He has found out the intro to "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" came from "Rock Of Ages." I think he thought the "oonta gleetun gloutin globin" was exclusive to those born after 1990. Heh. This is fun.

3 comments:

Sharon Collie said...

Y'all let me know if you can't hear this.

Anonymous said...

Love this story. As a Grandpa myself...I know that if nothing else, It would make me feel good (even if I am dead -grin-) for all 5 of the grandkids, at some point in their life after I am gone, to think that I was some part of cool.

I do hope that this helps put #1's family history and just who and what his grandpa was into perspective a little more.

On the other aspect of this, I do think it is so sad that children cannot,for whatever reason(death, distance or just the way families are sometimes) be around their grandparents while they are young, for BOTH of their sakes....

and sista, I may need help listening to this audio. Will throw an email your way soon for that help.

A proud papaw and frequent babysitter
Jerald

Michelle O'Neil said...

What a sweet post!

I love the Def Leppard reference. Too funny!

Blog Archive