Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Waylon Jennings Sighting?

Several have mentioned Rex L. Camino's Waylon Jennings sighting story (or something...I didn't hear it but it musta been good) Amazingly, Blogger is letting me put my Waymore picture up.

Obviously, this was the day I became Mrs. Smiff in 1989. Waylon didn't come to the actual ceremony but he and Jessi came for the reception. (I think Jessi told my mother in law that Waylon "didn't behave" in church).

I had a couple other Waylon run-ins. One, when I was about 5 at the Jimmie Rodgers Festival in Meridian, Mississippi. The Outlaw thing was pretty big then, but, it didn't phase me. I wanted to go back to the motel to swim in the Holiday Inn pool. The other was in '97 when my mother in law had a heart attack and was in the hospital. It was absolutely nuts. Here, she'd had this heart attack. People were coming in and out to see her like crazy and silly me, thought she needed to chill and rest. She'd only had a heart attack, but, that's just me. Call me crazy.

On that Sunday, another group of people had just left and here I was, Ms. Non-Confrontation, Non-Take Charge person trying to keep things calm. Then, the phone rings. I yanked it up and said "Hello?" Yeah, boy...anybody trying to get to Hazel had to go through ME! This voice growled "Where's Hazel?" "Who IS this?" the In Charge and In Control Daughter In Law demanded. "Ahhhh...this is Waylon." Oh shit. "Here" and I handed Hazel the phone.

Funny thing, when Waylon and Jessi showed up at Maryland Farms for the wedding reception, all the crazy, starstruck relatives and this Japanese couple somebody let in (Who the hell where they anyway?) MOBBED him. Waylon probably behaved just fine in church. It's the other people who didn't when he was around and that's why they didn't come to the church. I thought that was kinda big of them. Waylon had such a big, charismatic presence and not because he was high on himself, but, out of respect for Mr. Smiff and me, they tried to quietly come in the reception to wish us well. That meant a lot then and it does now.

I still have the baking dishes with the gold trim they gave us and everytime I use them, cause I'm corny that way, I think of Waylon and Jessi.

4 comments:

Newscoma said...

"Babies, Don't let your mamas grow up to be cowboys" should be a song, don't you think?

Sharon Collie said...

Ya know, I was in this little town in Texas once, called "Luchenbach" and as I strolled through the little town, I thought to myself "Maybe....it's time we got back to the basics of love. Let's go to Luchenbach....with Willie, Waylon, Biff's ex wives....etc" Would make a great song.

Rex L. Camino said...

Wow. See, my story really wasn't much of one. I heard someone mention Waylon and launched into recounting the time the wife and I were headed down to Alabama to visit my folks in the middle of a snowstorm. We had to drive at a snail's pace, and I noticed a shiny black Jaguar behind us from Franklin all the way into Alabama. They eventually pulled up beside us, and I then looked down to see Waylon looking right back at me. He and Kristofferson were surprise guests at a benefit for a Muscle Shoals songwriter that night.

About halfway through the telling of that the other night I realized that I couldn't remember what prompted it and that it really wasn't much of a story anyway. I think I was a bit nervous because it surprised me that Chris and Amanda seemed to have read me before. I didn't expect that for some reason.

Suburban Turmoil said...

I can't believe he's wearing the leather coat. I always picture him in that long leather coat...

I have a funny story about Waylon and his cat that I'll have to tell you some time. :)

Blog Archive