Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Hooray For Field Day!!!




Today was Field Day.

I want to know who the first person to have this bright idea of festive, competitive, frivolity every stinkin' year at the end of May? Who did this to us?

I am the first to admit I am not all up about being that parent who is ALWAYS at school for every single event, all up in the middle of it, lappin' up the PTO and all that that implies. I'm just not. Shoot me...call DCS....the head of the Muffia....the superintendent. It's not because I don't love my kids, 'cause those three are the center of my being.

I'm just gonna call it.....trying to see how many friggin marbles you can pick up with your toes out of a baby pool is perhaps the most insane activity one can spend any time doing. That's one of the many "events" held at today's Field Day festivities at #2's elementary school. It was also probably the coldest and windiest field day ever on record...anywhere.

I had two children before #2 go through this same school and this was the first Field Day I had ever been to. I didn't want to go. I hated Field Day when I was in school. I was still getting over the 2 and half hour band concert at the middle school last night that #1 Son was in. (He officially ended his band career last night. No more sax; and all my dreams of seeing him march in polyester during half time football games like I did....well, they're shot to hell now) #2 really wanted me to come today since I was a bad mother last week too and forgot he had a field trip.

Unlike his older brother and sister, #2 WANTED me there. He didn't want me out of his sight the whole time. As we walked from event to event, he held my hand and told me after each event "I really did my best!". Walking towards the Dart Throw, #2 spotted a kid he knows and said "Hey Jonathan! This is my mom!" Jonathan hollered "Hi #2's Mom" as he went to take his shot at picking up marbles with his toes.

My baby boy was proud of his mom and he may have gotten one ribbon (3rd place in Horseshoes), but, it was pretty clear to me that I was the winner today.

***As for the photo...I strategically positioned #2 and his compadres so the mini Muffia gathering in the background (to the right) could be seen.

No comments:

Blog Archive