I had a mind blowing, I-did-not-know-that moment today. It's not earth shattering as in a cure for cancer or something important but it blew my mind.
I did not know until today that Bruce Springsteen wrote "Blinded By The Light." As in revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night, blinded by the light. I learned this from the nice folks at XMRadio. They even played both versions for my listening pleasure.
Cube neighbor Shaun felt that the Boss's version lacked the magic of the Manfred Mann version. I do not see it that way, namely, because nothing is more pleasing to me than hearing a songwriter sing one of their compositions. Even if they are like the late, amazing Harlan Howard and can't sing a lick, there is something very special and beautiful about a composer doing their song.
Bruce's version is a lot grittier, angrier, if you will, more acoustic, while Manfred had the synthesized, 70's thing happening. In fact, if I'd have heard the Springsteen version before, it would've not immediately been recognizable to me as the same song. It's just different.
Another song that I was not aware of who wrote it until recently, although not as mind blowing because he's amazing, is that Nashvillian Steve Cropper co-wrote "Knock On Wood." I knew he wrote "Dock of the Bay" but not knock, knock, knock on wood. I bet those two ditties have bought him a lot of biscuits.
I usually know useless stuff like this that in the grand scheme of life, doesn't matter diddly squat, but, somehow my brain deems important.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
- More You Tube Fun
- Birthday Girl
- Can You Tell Me How To Get...
- Does Barry Manilow Know You Raided His Wardrobe?
- If you would like to see The Grascals perform here...
- In The Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening....
- Heroes Proved
- As you can see, I've been messing around with my b...
- School's Out
- Random ADD Thoughts and a Song For You
- Grassland Grill-RIP
- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
- Life Is Fragile
- Deep Within My Heart Lies A Melody...
- Feminine Protection?!??!!
- What A Way To Go
- Gotta Go Now, Guess I'll See You Around....
- The Fifth White
- But I Kinda Like The Beatles
- Whose Gonna Mow Your Grass?
- Homeschooling Parent Elected To School Board
- Jesus, Rock My Baby
- Take A Walk...
- Madman Drummers, Bummers and Indians
- Cabbies, Schmabbies
- I Love Vinyl
- Family Sayings
- Did You Call Your Mama?
- M Is For The Many Things She Gave Me
- Has Anybody.....
- Oh Rhinestoned Where Art Thou?
- Hooray For Field Day!!!
- Not A Good Gift
- Word of the Day
- That's FRONK-ensteen
- Muffia Heaven
- Could I Borrow...60K?
- Remembering Keith Whitley
- Used To Be My Little Boy
- Sunday Morning Church in Nashville
- Grassy Goatees
- Happy Birthday
- Smile For Awhile And Let's Be Jolly
- Postcards On The Edge
- Worth A Thousand Words
- Wednesday's Useless History Lesson
- A Pledge For Summer
- Da Doo Run Run
- Day Two
- Run Sista Run
- Staying Alive
- ▼ May (55)