It was a Retro-Wonderland today at the Sumner County YMCA. They had their little Splash Bash, like they do at the beginning of the summer every year. Free hot dogs, free Purity Ice Cream (who knew there was such a thang as "Cookie Buddies?" Not quite as yumtastic as Moose Tracks, but, it did just fine).
Alderman Tommy Elsten brought his DJ stuff out and I don't know what it is about the song "YMCA" that sends normally subdued people into a frenzy of arm-flailing, forming the letters, euphoria. I mean, people go nuts over that song, regardless of age. It's quite amazing. Even #2 goes crazy over it.
I got to thinking how when that song came out, what, in about 1978 or 79, coming up on 30 years ago,whoda thunk that MY children would know it??? I also can't help but laugh to think I thought that the song was REALLY about hanging out and having a good time, working out at the Y, with yer buddies. I guess it is about good times,but, not the kinda good times I thought it was. Ahhh naivete.
Alderman/DJ Tommy was playing LOTS of Beach Boys today too; lots of Motown.. He even played one I hadn't heard since the days of roller boogie'n it at the Brentwood Skate Center..."Apache" by the Sugarhill Gang. I remembered every single word. Do dig the lyrical brilliance:
When you're stung by the rapping ranger
When Silver and I, take a ride
All you suckers better step aside
I sting squaws, then I run away
HIYOO Silver, is what I say!
The days when rap was light and easy....kinder and gentler.
#1 Son displayed an unusual attitude of teen angst towards me and is, at the moment, not conversing with me or acknowledging my existence. I don't know what I did that was so horrible. At least I didn't get up dancing, spankin' the monkey, like I would have liked to do, at the pool. Maybe next time.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- How To End A Long Work Week.
- Fresh from the email, Sir Quacky has sent the link...
- More Graceland Memories
- Graceland's Spayshul Guest and Other Memories
- Mama Bear
- Bluegrass Night at the Ryman
- Afternoon Delight
- Your First?
- We Love Us Some Mothership
- Adult Swimming
- No Pizza
- Friggin' Idiot
- Letters, We Got Letters-The Burning Family Tie Que...
- A Mothership Lunch Day
- One More Post....
- Pedorthic Memories of Yesteryear
- Good Eatin'
- Almost Her Time
- An Old Movie Review
- Pass The Gravy, Please
- Seen and Heard
- Death By Nightstand??
- More ADD Fun
- Sista Sista Fo Fista Banana Nana Fo Fana
- To Bless or Not To Bless
- I Got New Graphics....I Got New Graphics!
- Praise the Lord and Pass the Underwear
- Are You There God, It's Me, Sista
- She's On The Case
- Not That I'm Anxious For Him To Come Home Or Nothi...
- Out of the Box
- A Father's Day Card
- Hendersonville Public Access TV
- A Saturday Morning Funny
- Awwwwwwwww Pig Out!!!!! (Le Funk C'est Knuck)
- Goodbye To A Friend
- I Want To Serve In the Martini Ministry
- Is This Thing On?
- Sneaky Snake Goes Dancin'...A Wigglin' and A'Hissi...
- The Real Deal
- Top 30
- Multi-Faceted Children
- The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
- Can Cows Drive?
- What Age Difference?
- ADD Saturday A.M Thoughts
- Reading Josephine's Journal
- Bible Skoo and Cookies
- Playin' Possum WIth The Possum
- Step Right Up, Come On In
- Formerly Known As Fan Fair
- There Is No Such Thing As Natural Beauty
- 5 Minutes With Wichita
- Middle of the Night Sick Call
- To Gray Or Not To Gray
- Monday Oddities
- Old Age
- At The Cee-Ment Pond
- Random ADD Sunday Thoughts
- Does He Or Doesn't He?? You Be The Judge
- Knuck Watch
- I Am Not Done Talking About Reba
- The World Famous Station Inn
- You Picked A Fine Time To Bust Me, Lucille
- Does This Make Me Odd?
- ▼ June (69)