Me and the Beautiful Dawta took Chloe up to the vet and did what we had to do. I thought it kinda interesting that the vets office uses this pretty, flowerdy paper to print out the euthanization certificates. Usually, at the vets, Chloe would try to get up and get off the table, but, not today. Her back legs had pretty much given out on her. They asked if I wanted to be in there when they did it and I said I didn't think so and asked them if that made me a bad dog owner and they said "Absolutely not." Some want to stay and some don't.
The Dawta and I both noticed how Chloe's eyes seemed to be teary when we were telling her goodbye. Maybe it was just our imaginations. Our eyes were full and the hearts heavy.
I went outside and waited and I remembered the time I had brought Chloe to that same vet about 12 years ago to be boarded while we went on a trip. Chloe HATED leashes. Scared to death of them and wanted no part of one. She jumped out of my arms and took off running down the parking lot and I had to run like a madwoman to catch her before she got out into West Main/Gallatin Rd. traffic.
We brought her back to the house and our wonderful neighbor, Matthew, a big, sturdy guy, dug a good hole for us and me and the kids buried her. Each kid wanted to help cover the dirt. It was like they had to. That dog had been here longer than any of them and has been with them every single day of their lives.
Chloe went through a lot of life with us....births, a divorce, greeting each kid when they came home from their first day of school, a lot of nights I was alone with Mr. Smiff on the road, she was right there, being a good watch dog, always sleeping right under my head, if I got up, she got up, she got up, even if it was just to the bathroom. Gosh, Chloe even knew my dad, who has been dead nearly 15 years.
#2 asked me if Chloe was in Heaven. I told him I don't know for sure, but, I feel that God has a special place for special pets. He has to. I hope so. Chloe is deserving of whatever special place there is for dogs when they die. She was everything a good pet should be: loving, forgiving, protective and a faithful little friend. There were times she drove me nuts because she had a nervous/insecure side to her, but, I'm glad I saw that ad in the paper that day in 1991 and that I brought her home, even though I was not sure what Mr. Smiff would say. She was so tiny, she fit into my hand and I hid her behind my back before I broke the news to Mr. Smiff that it was a girl.
Everyday when we feed the dogs, there's this routine of Chloe being in charge of the food. The other dogs eat, pretty much when she said so. This morning, when she wouldn't eat, they ate theirs and I noticed after I got back and done with everything, they had not touched her food. Normally, it's a contest. Amazing how instinctive dogs are. Maybe they're hoping she'll be back later to eat. Who knows.
**Once again the wonderful Blogger is being contrary and won't let me put a picture up. Look at the Flickr.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- How To End A Long Work Week.
- Fresh from the email, Sir Quacky has sent the link...
- More Graceland Memories
- Graceland's Spayshul Guest and Other Memories
- Mama Bear
- Bluegrass Night at the Ryman
- Afternoon Delight
- Your First?
- We Love Us Some Mothership
- Adult Swimming
- No Pizza
- Friggin' Idiot
- Letters, We Got Letters-The Burning Family Tie Que...
- A Mothership Lunch Day
- One More Post....
- Pedorthic Memories of Yesteryear
- Good Eatin'
- Almost Her Time
- An Old Movie Review
- Pass The Gravy, Please
- Seen and Heard
- Death By Nightstand??
- More ADD Fun
- Sista Sista Fo Fista Banana Nana Fo Fana
- To Bless or Not To Bless
- I Got New Graphics....I Got New Graphics!
- Praise the Lord and Pass the Underwear
- Are You There God, It's Me, Sista
- She's On The Case
- Not That I'm Anxious For Him To Come Home Or Nothi...
- Out of the Box
- A Father's Day Card
- Hendersonville Public Access TV
- A Saturday Morning Funny
- Awwwwwwwww Pig Out!!!!! (Le Funk C'est Knuck)
- Goodbye To A Friend
- I Want To Serve In the Martini Ministry
- Is This Thing On?
- Sneaky Snake Goes Dancin'...A Wigglin' and A'Hissi...
- The Real Deal
- Top 30
- Multi-Faceted Children
- The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
- Can Cows Drive?
- What Age Difference?
- ADD Saturday A.M Thoughts
- Reading Josephine's Journal
- Bible Skoo and Cookies
- Playin' Possum WIth The Possum
- Step Right Up, Come On In
- Formerly Known As Fan Fair
- There Is No Such Thing As Natural Beauty
- 5 Minutes With Wichita
- Middle of the Night Sick Call
- To Gray Or Not To Gray
- Monday Oddities
- Old Age
- At The Cee-Ment Pond
- Random ADD Sunday Thoughts
- Does He Or Doesn't He?? You Be The Judge
- Knuck Watch
- I Am Not Done Talking About Reba
- The World Famous Station Inn
- You Picked A Fine Time To Bust Me, Lucille
- Does This Make Me Odd?
- ▼ June (69)