I love the fact that Prime Minister Koizumi is a huge Elvis fan and I love our President for hauling him down to Memphis to see the Kang's house.
I'm overdue for a Graceland visit myself. I've been there a number of times and I absolutely LOVE it. I love anything Elvis. Even though Priscilla tried to trash him and make us hate him in her lame autobiography, even though he was a freak, I love Elvis.
The first time I went to Graceland was in about 1970. I don't have photos, but, I do have home movies. The Biffer and Elvis made aquaintance back in about 1954 in Houston when Dad booked him on some shows there. This was before he was The King, but, was rather The Hillbilly Cat and hillbilly he was, sho nuff. Anyway, we went by and Uncle Vester took us up on the grounds and there is film documentation of me playing where Lisa Marie herself played.
The next time we went was after he died. These pictures were made either right before or after the first or second anniversary. (Note to Sister-you look way cuter in these pictures than I did. I look like a little boy whose mother wanted a girl so bad so she dressed her kid up in this ugly, blue frock. Mom was looking hot in her headgear. What's with the headgear? Sister was not happy that day. Good land, I have the same, evil smile on my face here that my kids give each other when one is in a bad mood and the other is making fun of it. Heh) ANYWAY, this was before the house was opened, but, you could stand in line for hours, walk up the driveway and walk by his grave.
I went again in 1983, not long after they started letting people in the house. I remember being so surprised with how small the house is. I mean, small in Elvis, King of Rock 'N Roll, American Icon terms. I went another time in about '87 and saw Aunt Delta taking her poodle out to potty.
Mr. Smiff and I went to Graceland on our honeymoon in December of 1989. The house decorated, as the Kang had it done, at Christmas was cool but that trip, what I remember most about it was that was the first time Mr. Smiff ever heard me fart. We only dated 6 months before we married and I had this horrendous gas around wedding time because I thought I was obese (size 8 is SO fat!) and had been drinking Slim Fast like it was going out of style. (That stuff gives ya gas, in case ya didn't know) and that morning we were going to Elvis', I let one slip and I was MORTIFIED. We got over that pretty quick and now is a main source of entertainment.
Back to the Kang....one of the things I like best about the whole Graceland tour is the airplanes and that big room that has all his clothes and trophies and stuff. The thing that got me is they had some of his tennis shoes and they were those Tretorn shoes that tennis players used to wear. They were about a size 11 or so and I remember looking at those and the shoes making me realize Elvis was a real person. He always seemed bigger than life in his capes and sideburns and what not but his shoes...the way they wrinkled from wear looked like the shoes in my Dad's closet. He was a real guy. And here all these people come traipsin' through his house, looking at his shoes. Kinda crazy when you think about it.
Oh well, I hope the Prime Minister has him a good time.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
Friday, June 30, 2006
- How To End A Long Work Week.
- Fresh from the email, Sir Quacky has sent the link...
- More Graceland Memories
- Graceland's Spayshul Guest and Other Memories
- Mama Bear
- Bluegrass Night at the Ryman
- Afternoon Delight
- Your First?
- We Love Us Some Mothership
- Adult Swimming
- No Pizza
- Friggin' Idiot
- Letters, We Got Letters-The Burning Family Tie Que...
- A Mothership Lunch Day
- One More Post....
- Pedorthic Memories of Yesteryear
- Good Eatin'
- Almost Her Time
- An Old Movie Review
- Pass The Gravy, Please
- Seen and Heard
- Death By Nightstand??
- More ADD Fun
- Sista Sista Fo Fista Banana Nana Fo Fana
- To Bless or Not To Bless
- I Got New Graphics....I Got New Graphics!
- Praise the Lord and Pass the Underwear
- Are You There God, It's Me, Sista
- She's On The Case
- Not That I'm Anxious For Him To Come Home Or Nothi...
- Out of the Box
- A Father's Day Card
- Hendersonville Public Access TV
- A Saturday Morning Funny
- Awwwwwwwww Pig Out!!!!! (Le Funk C'est Knuck)
- Goodbye To A Friend
- I Want To Serve In the Martini Ministry
- Is This Thing On?
- Sneaky Snake Goes Dancin'...A Wigglin' and A'Hissi...
- The Real Deal
- Top 30
- Multi-Faceted Children
- The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
- Can Cows Drive?
- What Age Difference?
- ADD Saturday A.M Thoughts
- Reading Josephine's Journal
- Bible Skoo and Cookies
- Playin' Possum WIth The Possum
- Step Right Up, Come On In
- Formerly Known As Fan Fair
- There Is No Such Thing As Natural Beauty
- 5 Minutes With Wichita
- Middle of the Night Sick Call
- To Gray Or Not To Gray
- Monday Oddities
- Old Age
- At The Cee-Ment Pond
- Random ADD Sunday Thoughts
- Does He Or Doesn't He?? You Be The Judge
- Knuck Watch
- I Am Not Done Talking About Reba
- The World Famous Station Inn
- You Picked A Fine Time To Bust Me, Lucille
- Does This Make Me Odd?
- ▼ June (69)