I work in a large company downtown. There's lots of fun people here where I work, in particular a group of people I like very much that I often join for break time. I think I've written about this bunch before, but, they're really good peoples.
I don't lunch with them because some of them, during lunch every single day, go down to a room here in this rather large complex and play cards. They don't play poker, but, some very simple little game. They do this everyday. They are card-playing freaks. They love it. They are all very seasoned card players. They are into it.
I ran into one of the girls in the cafe a bit ago and she said "When are you going to come back down during lunch?" (I went down to the Card Room once, upon invitation). Now, they don't ask just anybody to come into their inner sanctum of card playing nirvana. I should be, and am, quite delighted that they think so much of Sista Smiff that they'd want me to join them, but, the truth is.....Cards are just boring to me. The only card playing I've ever done is pretty limited to Slapjack and Old Maid. Oh, and Solitaire on the computer.
I think the tendency to play cards runs in families and my parents neither were card players, in fact, my mother was not allowed to play cards as a kid. When her father was about 12, his mother, who was ill, sent him to the store to get the mail (early 1900's...post office, everything was at the store). While he was there, there were some men playing cards and apparently doing some sort of gambling and my grandfather joined in. I don't know how long he had been gone, but, by the time he got back home,(you know where this is going) his mother had died. He blamed the cards for keeping him from saying goodbye to his mother and it scarred him so, he wouldn't let a deck of cards in his home.
I dated a guy whose family was BIG into Rook and then another guy whose family was big into Canasta.
Mr. Smiff can watch poker endlessly on television. I find it all ridiculously boring.
What am I missing not playing cards?? Apparently, something because so many people are just into it.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- How To End A Long Work Week.
- Fresh from the email, Sir Quacky has sent the link...
- More Graceland Memories
- Graceland's Spayshul Guest and Other Memories
- Mama Bear
- Bluegrass Night at the Ryman
- Afternoon Delight
- Your First?
- We Love Us Some Mothership
- Adult Swimming
- No Pizza
- Friggin' Idiot
- Letters, We Got Letters-The Burning Family Tie Que...
- A Mothership Lunch Day
- One More Post....
- Pedorthic Memories of Yesteryear
- Good Eatin'
- Almost Her Time
- An Old Movie Review
- Pass The Gravy, Please
- Seen and Heard
- Death By Nightstand??
- More ADD Fun
- Sista Sista Fo Fista Banana Nana Fo Fana
- To Bless or Not To Bless
- I Got New Graphics....I Got New Graphics!
- Praise the Lord and Pass the Underwear
- Are You There God, It's Me, Sista
- She's On The Case
- Not That I'm Anxious For Him To Come Home Or Nothi...
- Out of the Box
- A Father's Day Card
- Hendersonville Public Access TV
- A Saturday Morning Funny
- Awwwwwwwww Pig Out!!!!! (Le Funk C'est Knuck)
- Goodbye To A Friend
- I Want To Serve In the Martini Ministry
- Is This Thing On?
- Sneaky Snake Goes Dancin'...A Wigglin' and A'Hissi...
- The Real Deal
- Top 30
- Multi-Faceted Children
- The Good, The Bad and The Thirsty
- Can Cows Drive?
- What Age Difference?
- ADD Saturday A.M Thoughts
- Reading Josephine's Journal
- Bible Skoo and Cookies
- Playin' Possum WIth The Possum
- Step Right Up, Come On In
- Formerly Known As Fan Fair
- There Is No Such Thing As Natural Beauty
- 5 Minutes With Wichita
- Middle of the Night Sick Call
- To Gray Or Not To Gray
- Monday Oddities
- Old Age
- At The Cee-Ment Pond
- Random ADD Sunday Thoughts
- Does He Or Doesn't He?? You Be The Judge
- Knuck Watch
- I Am Not Done Talking About Reba
- The World Famous Station Inn
- You Picked A Fine Time To Bust Me, Lucille
- Does This Make Me Odd?
- ▼ June (69)