I just ran up to Kroger's a minute ago for a couple things and just as I was telling #2 that no, he could not get that Sponge Bob coloring book, I see this figure whizz by me. I look up and it was none other than Jarrod Hawkins, who just returned yesterday from Disney World to his brand new dream home, built courtesy of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. He was buying paper towels and he had something of a deer in the headlights look on his face. I imagine he was was moving so fast because he didn't want some well-meaning person to stop him for a chat. Either that, or those chilluns have done spilt something on what is sure to be a pretty new floor and he had to skedaddle for the Bounty.
I got to thinking that that poor guy's life has totally turned topsy turvy the last 4 months. I bet he never dreamed this time last year that his family would go through all they've been through. Besides the obvious...his wife becoming disabled, losing their home and everything in it, now they're having to deal with becoming instant celebrities, which I'm sure is attention they probably didn't want.
Last night, I noticed that Hendersonville's Finest still had the road their house is on blocked, I'm sure to keep curiosity seekers away so the family could enjoy their first night in their new home. My daughter noticed tonight that the police cars were gone and asked if we could ride by and see the house. I said no because I'm sure that little road has plenty of traffic and we don't need to add to it.
Can you imagine what it would be like to one day to be living your life all normal, doing your thing, then something awful happening, like what happened to them, getting tons of local media coverage and now the Extreme Home Makeover happening, and being thrust into the public eye? As if coping with the physical and emotional trauma of what they've been through isn't enough. No wonder Mr. Hawkins looked a little wigged out. It's been quite a week.
I'm sure the buzz will die down, but, until it does, going to eat at Jaybirds or Texas Roadhouse or even going to the grocery store will be a major ordeal, with the nice people of Hendersonville stopping them to say howdy and telling them they prayed for them and all that.
At any rate, I'm happy for them and wish them well as they move on with their lives. I bet they're enjoying that amazing swimming pool.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- A Bluegrass Documentary
- Pro Blogging?
- Due To Restructuring....
- Young Love
- A Shout For Eddie
- Pardon Me, Mitch
- Cruising With The Ceester
- Stuck In Lodi Again
- The Sickly Governor
- Shameless Plugs
- Unadvisable Things To Say To Sista Smiff on a Sund...
- Plane Crashes-More Than Just Numbers
- A Piece of the Pie The fine folks at TVLand have ...
- The Post That Is Just Plain Corny
- Hey Sista...What's For Supper?
- The Power of Suggestion
- The Many Faces of Mr. Smiff
- And How Is Your Taste In Music?
- Smiff Meets Schmitt
- Open House # 15
- The Fishin' Hole
- They Said It Really Loud, They Said It On The Air....
- G As In....
- The One Where I Complain About Stuff
- Live Blogging From Metropolitan Gobblers Knob
- Road Trip
- The Leaning Post of Life
- Just Breathe
- No Wonder They Think We're Hicks
- Could It Have Been Any Better? I Think So.
- The Two B's-Bitchin' & Bronchitis
- Tuesday Stuff
- Tales of Some Fourth Grade Bloggers
- Before I Forget
- Rock Your World
- How I Spent My Sunday
- On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory John ...
- A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
- Golden Ring
- Blogging Germs
- Yeah, We Tease Him A Lot Cause We've Hot Him On Th...
- Back To Skoo
- Shopping For Kids
- Money For Nothing
- Phone The Neighbors, Wake The Kids
- This Meme Is Brought To You By The Letter "N"
- Image Is Everything
- Simply Shocking
- Country Radio
- Shindig At The Hall
- Driving Lesson Gone Bad
- Concerning My Coif
- Bless This House
- Breakfast In Bed.....sorta
- Do You Remember Paul Eels?
- Birthday Salutations
- Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel The s...
- Lunchtime In Blogville
- It's Official
- I'll Be There Ready And A'Waitin'
- Bring Your Kid To Work Day
- Mighty Merle
- 80's Fun
- 25 Years?
- ▼ August (68)