My head is not in one particular spot today (is it ever?). A sampling of odds and ends running through my mind this hot Thursday:
I hate to hear that Freddy Fender has terminal cancer. I'm of the mind that his recording of "Before The Next Teardrop Falls" is one of the best that ever was. I loved his group The Texas Tornadoes (their rendition of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone are fantastic.) Remember the episode of Welcome Back Kotter when Juan Epstein's girlfriend couldn't speak English and the closest thing she could say was "Freddy Fender?" Heh.
I don't know if my girl, Marie Osmond, tried to commit suicide or not. Depression is a bad thing and she's been fighting that a long time. I hope she's ok.
I know I should vote today. I really know this. I don't know if I should vote for Harold Ford, Jr. solely cause he's charming? Seriously, I don't know who to vote for. I don't think it's wise to go in and play Close My Eyes And Pick One either. I said I wasn't going to vote for all those people who stood on the side of the Vietnam Veterans Bypass waving at me every morning either just for principle.
School starts a week from today for Sumner County. The fees, school supplies and other expenses getting three kids back in school every year, is more draining on the bank account than Christmas. I think my kids are actually kinda looking forward to getting back in the swing.
I've been listening to a final cut of the Grascals new cd Long List of Heartaches that comes out on the 29th of this month. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but, it's a good un. Wait'll you hear them with Dierks Bentley.
According to my co-worker Bonnie, who spent some time volunteering at the Hawkins' Extreme Homemakeover the other night til like 1:30 in the morning, all the spectators/volunteers aren't there to support the family or to help. She saw one woman who showed up, wanting to help, that was drunk and another woman, about 50, in short, tight mini-skirt, tons of makeup, hair doodied up, who announced she was there to see Ty. Like she maybe had a shot at him. That's funny. I've thought about going over to see the place, especially since it's just across the road from us, but, with the heat and all the people....nah.
Lord willin', I hope I will be able to get to the opening of the Ray Price exhibit tonight. It will probably boil down to me choosing between voting and Ray Price. Some of y'all will hate me, but, Ray wins.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
Thursday, August 03, 2006
- A Bluegrass Documentary
- Pro Blogging?
- Due To Restructuring....
- Young Love
- A Shout For Eddie
- Pardon Me, Mitch
- Cruising With The Ceester
- Stuck In Lodi Again
- The Sickly Governor
- Shameless Plugs
- Unadvisable Things To Say To Sista Smiff on a Sund...
- Plane Crashes-More Than Just Numbers
- A Piece of the Pie The fine folks at TVLand have ...
- The Post That Is Just Plain Corny
- Hey Sista...What's For Supper?
- The Power of Suggestion
- The Many Faces of Mr. Smiff
- And How Is Your Taste In Music?
- Smiff Meets Schmitt
- Open House # 15
- The Fishin' Hole
- They Said It Really Loud, They Said It On The Air....
- G As In....
- The One Where I Complain About Stuff
- Live Blogging From Metropolitan Gobblers Knob
- Road Trip
- The Leaning Post of Life
- Just Breathe
- No Wonder They Think We're Hicks
- Could It Have Been Any Better? I Think So.
- The Two B's-Bitchin' & Bronchitis
- Tuesday Stuff
- Tales of Some Fourth Grade Bloggers
- Before I Forget
- Rock Your World
- How I Spent My Sunday
- On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory John ...
- A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
- Golden Ring
- Blogging Germs
- Yeah, We Tease Him A Lot Cause We've Hot Him On Th...
- Back To Skoo
- Shopping For Kids
- Money For Nothing
- Phone The Neighbors, Wake The Kids
- This Meme Is Brought To You By The Letter "N"
- Image Is Everything
- Simply Shocking
- Country Radio
- Shindig At The Hall
- Driving Lesson Gone Bad
- Concerning My Coif
- Bless This House
- Breakfast In Bed.....sorta
- Do You Remember Paul Eels?
- Birthday Salutations
- Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel The s...
- Lunchtime In Blogville
- It's Official
- I'll Be There Ready And A'Waitin'
- Bring Your Kid To Work Day
- Mighty Merle
- 80's Fun
- 25 Years?
- ▼ August (68)