On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory
John Hartford has been gone for 5 years this past June. He was probably one of the most creative and unique individuals I have ever known, from his music down to his beautiful, calligraphy handwriting.
I miss the New Year's parties at John and Marie's, that would last for 3 days. Marie would serve homemade vegetable soup, not in paper bowls, but, nice, china bowls.
Some of my favorite memories, ever, were the Cluster Pluckers pickin' in the hot tub..
Mark O'Connor sitting on the bed, changing his fiddle strings, (and me swiping the old ones that I still have) while people like Roy Acuff, Bill Monroe, Grandpa Jones and others wandered in and out of rooms...
Grilling Harlan Howard about songs he had written, reminding him of some he had forgotten about...
Meeting my future mother in law for the first time, nearly two years before I met her son. Great times.
This has always been one of my favorite John Hartford tunes. The quality is bad, but, the beauty is still there.
Playing with him are Mark Howard, looks like Cowboy Jack Clement, on guitar, Jonathan Yudkin, Holly O'Dell and Ruth McGinnis on fiddles and the late Roy Huskey, Jr. on bass.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- A Bluegrass Documentary
- Pro Blogging?
- Due To Restructuring....
- Young Love
- A Shout For Eddie
- Pardon Me, Mitch
- Cruising With The Ceester
- Stuck In Lodi Again
- The Sickly Governor
- Shameless Plugs
- Unadvisable Things To Say To Sista Smiff on a Sund...
- Plane Crashes-More Than Just Numbers
- A Piece of the Pie The fine folks at TVLand have ...
- The Post That Is Just Plain Corny
- Hey Sista...What's For Supper?
- The Power of Suggestion
- The Many Faces of Mr. Smiff
- And How Is Your Taste In Music?
- Smiff Meets Schmitt
- Open House # 15
- The Fishin' Hole
- They Said It Really Loud, They Said It On The Air....
- G As In....
- The One Where I Complain About Stuff
- Live Blogging From Metropolitan Gobblers Knob
- Road Trip
- The Leaning Post of Life
- Just Breathe
- No Wonder They Think We're Hicks
- Could It Have Been Any Better? I Think So.
- The Two B's-Bitchin' & Bronchitis
- Tuesday Stuff
- Tales of Some Fourth Grade Bloggers
- Before I Forget
- Rock Your World
- How I Spent My Sunday
- On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory John ...
- A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
- Golden Ring
- Blogging Germs
- Yeah, We Tease Him A Lot Cause We've Hot Him On Th...
- Back To Skoo
- Shopping For Kids
- Money For Nothing
- Phone The Neighbors, Wake The Kids
- This Meme Is Brought To You By The Letter "N"
- Image Is Everything
- Simply Shocking
- Country Radio
- Shindig At The Hall
- Driving Lesson Gone Bad
- Concerning My Coif
- Bless This House
- Breakfast In Bed.....sorta
- Do You Remember Paul Eels?
- Birthday Salutations
- Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel The s...
- Lunchtime In Blogville
- It's Official
- I'll Be There Ready And A'Waitin'
- Bring Your Kid To Work Day
- Mighty Merle
- 80's Fun
- 25 Years?
- ▼ August (68)