Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel
The shindig at the Country Music Hall of Fame last night, celebrating the new Ray Price exhibit was fantastic. Even more fantastic was the fact that Sista Smiff met and chatted with The Cherokee Cowboy himself. (I will have a photo to prove it here in a couple days)
Ray is one of those legends that when you are face to face with, you are kinda speechless and in awe, at least I was. He lit up, as much as Ray can light up (very low key, that Ray) when he found out whose daughter I was and reminisced a bit about how far they went back.
The exhibit itself is really nice, although I must admit, I didn't experience the whole thing because it was hotter than hades in there, but, I saw some great clips of him singing, some outfits and all the regular stuff they have in those sorts of things.
I saw old friends like Jay Orr, Alan Stoker, John Rumble, Leigh Anne Wise, Charlie Douglas, Jo Walker-Meador, Earl Scruggs, Bob McLean, Kyle & Becky Cantrell; sat at the table with Hal Ketchum and his wife; chatted with Kirt Webster, Chet Flippo, Robert K. Oermann and his wife, Mary Bufwack; my blog/email pal Producer J from XM Radio; John Carter Cash and his wife Laura; steel guitar great Don Helms; I could've sworn that Irving Waugh was no longer amongst the living, but, apparently, he is, because he was there. Same with songwriter Danny (Long Black Veil) Dill. Coulda sworn he'd done gone to Glory, but, no. Charlie Dick, widower of Patsy Cline was also there in all his glory. Heh. Charlie Dick. How'd you like your last name to be "Dick?"
'Twas a fun evening. I was thrilled to get to chauffeur my mother in law to the gathering. I was thrilled to be able to leave #1 Son in charge of #2 so I could get out for a bit.
Even happier I got to stand next to greatness like Ray Price. Do enjoy this classic clip from the mid 50's of Ray, along with the most awesomeist twin fiddling by Tommy Jackson and Dale Potter.
Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
- A Bluegrass Documentary
- Pro Blogging?
- Due To Restructuring....
- Young Love
- A Shout For Eddie
- Pardon Me, Mitch
- Cruising With The Ceester
- Stuck In Lodi Again
- The Sickly Governor
- Shameless Plugs
- Unadvisable Things To Say To Sista Smiff on a Sund...
- Plane Crashes-More Than Just Numbers
- A Piece of the Pie The fine folks at TVLand have ...
- The Post That Is Just Plain Corny
- Hey Sista...What's For Supper?
- The Power of Suggestion
- The Many Faces of Mr. Smiff
- And How Is Your Taste In Music?
- Smiff Meets Schmitt
- Open House # 15
- The Fishin' Hole
- They Said It Really Loud, They Said It On The Air....
- G As In....
- The One Where I Complain About Stuff
- Live Blogging From Metropolitan Gobblers Knob
- Road Trip
- The Leaning Post of Life
- Just Breathe
- No Wonder They Think We're Hicks
- Could It Have Been Any Better? I Think So.
- The Two B's-Bitchin' & Bronchitis
- Tuesday Stuff
- Tales of Some Fourth Grade Bloggers
- Before I Forget
- Rock Your World
- How I Spent My Sunday
- On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory John ...
- A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
- Golden Ring
- Blogging Germs
- Yeah, We Tease Him A Lot Cause We've Hot Him On Th...
- Back To Skoo
- Shopping For Kids
- Money For Nothing
- Phone The Neighbors, Wake The Kids
- This Meme Is Brought To You By The Letter "N"
- Image Is Everything
- Simply Shocking
- Country Radio
- Shindig At The Hall
- Driving Lesson Gone Bad
- Concerning My Coif
- Bless This House
- Breakfast In Bed.....sorta
- Do You Remember Paul Eels?
- Birthday Salutations
- Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel The s...
- Lunchtime In Blogville
- It's Official
- I'll Be There Ready And A'Waitin'
- Bring Your Kid To Work Day
- Mighty Merle
- 80's Fun
- 25 Years?
- ▼ August (68)