Take a whiff of Sista Smiff and you'll come back for more, that's fo sho!
Saturday, August 12, 2006
A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
Saturday morning television is not so great. Every now and then TBS or TNT will show a watchable movie, usually something like "You've Got Mail". I liked YGM the first 2,000 times I saw it. I'm kinda over it now. It was on last night....two times in a row.
This morning, TNT is running The Goodbye Girl. Not the original movie with Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason, but, the remake with Patricia Heaton and Jeff Daniels. The original movie is one of my all time favorites. I videotaped it off of cable in about 1985. Bad quality and all, I still have that video. Such a great play/screenplay by Neil Simon...a wonderful story with some great lines.
One, why did they feel like a remake of this was necessary? The dialogue is exactly the same as the 1977 one. Nothing has really been updated, nor did it need to be.
Two, I love Heaton and Daniels. Both are very capable actors, but, I almost feel sorry for them, especially him, recreating a role done so absolutely perfect by Dreyfuss. You can almost see it in Jeff's face..."Why am I doing this?" It's not that he's not any good. Had I not seen the first one and seen this, I would've thought "This is a good movie." I just can't escape the memory of Richard and Marsha.
Even the kid they used in this remake....Hallie Kate Eisenberg doesn't have the brilliant bite and sarcasm like Quinn Cummings did in the first one. I think Quinn got nominated for an Oscar for her performance.
I sound more and more like Mr. Smiff who is always saying that certain movies should not be allowed to be remade. This one definitely falls in that category.
I think I'm going to go dig out my old video and see the original. I'm also going to get caught up with Quinn Cummings, via her blog.
Posted by Sharon Collie at 9:31 AM
- A Bluegrass Documentary
- Pro Blogging?
- Due To Restructuring....
- Young Love
- A Shout For Eddie
- Pardon Me, Mitch
- Cruising With The Ceester
- Stuck In Lodi Again
- The Sickly Governor
- Shameless Plugs
- Unadvisable Things To Say To Sista Smiff on a Sund...
- Plane Crashes-More Than Just Numbers
- A Piece of the Pie The fine folks at TVLand have ...
- The Post That Is Just Plain Corny
- Hey Sista...What's For Supper?
- The Power of Suggestion
- The Many Faces of Mr. Smiff
- And How Is Your Taste In Music?
- Smiff Meets Schmitt
- Open House # 15
- The Fishin' Hole
- They Said It Really Loud, They Said It On The Air....
- G As In....
- The One Where I Complain About Stuff
- Live Blogging From Metropolitan Gobblers Knob
- Road Trip
- The Leaning Post of Life
- Just Breathe
- No Wonder They Think We're Hicks
- Could It Have Been Any Better? I Think So.
- The Two B's-Bitchin' & Bronchitis
- Tuesday Stuff
- Tales of Some Fourth Grade Bloggers
- Before I Forget
- Rock Your World
- How I Spent My Sunday
- On The Backroads By The Rivers of My Memory John ...
- A Remake That Shouldn't Have Been Made
- Golden Ring
- Blogging Germs
- Yeah, We Tease Him A Lot Cause We've Hot Him On Th...
- Back To Skoo
- Shopping For Kids
- Money For Nothing
- Phone The Neighbors, Wake The Kids
- This Meme Is Brought To You By The Letter "N"
- Image Is Everything
- Simply Shocking
- Country Radio
- Shindig At The Hall
- Driving Lesson Gone Bad
- Concerning My Coif
- Bless This House
- Breakfast In Bed.....sorta
- Do You Remember Paul Eels?
- Birthday Salutations
- Blue Ain't The Word For The Way That I Feel The s...
- Lunchtime In Blogville
- It's Official
- I'll Be There Ready And A'Waitin'
- Bring Your Kid To Work Day
- Mighty Merle
- 80's Fun
- 25 Years?
- ▼ August (68)